During my career, I have gained extensive experience in both teaching and public speaking. I am a lecturer for Lifelong Learning Dundee, and also provide a number of courses online, as detailed below.
Media Training for Creatives
As a freelance journalist specialising in the arts sector and a former PR, I know what makes a good story. That’s why I’ve put together an online training course especially for creatives, teaching them effective ways of engaging the media and publicising their work. Designed for all types of creative people, such as writers, artists, makers, actors and photographers, this online course will help you get to grips with what journalists actually want, and will include information on:
- What constitutes a good ‘story’
- Creating a ‘media ready’ profile online
- Streamlining your key messages
- Pitching your story to journalists
- Writing a killer press release
- Creating a media pack
- Perfecting your interview skills
The course will be run live online via zoom over four sessions, with class numbers limited to 8. The price of the course also includes a private one-to-one session with me, where each participant will have the opportunity to practice their interview skills and receive feedback on their media engagement plans.
Course cost: £100
Various course dates are available over May and June.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.
Be Your Own Book Publicist Online Course
I am offering a brand new training service for authors at all stages of their career. Using my extensive experience in PR and literature journalism, I have put together a training course for authors teaching them how to carry out their own book publicity.
The four week course is carried out on a one-to-one basis online and includes information on:
– developing your own publicity strategy
– developing your own author brand – including information on how to tell your own backstory in a way that will engage readers, the public and the media.
– developing your online presence – including information on how to market yourself online (including social media, websites, blogs etc.), tips on how to develop relationships with bloggers and detailed information on how to create a blog tour for your book.
– pitching yourself and your book to the media and the blogging/vlogging community – with information on how to sustain media coverage throughout the year.
The course is interactive. Course participants will be set homework every week and will receive detailed feedback from me. They will also be offered a thirty minute one-to-one telephone chat after the course is completed, where we can discuss your publicity strategy and anything else you’d like to go over.
Cost of four-week course: £100
For further information on the course or to book your place, please contact me on: email@example.com
I am also proud to be one third of Chasing Time, a tutored writing retreat service in the heart of Angus, which provides delegates with the time, space and inspiration to write.